Friday, November 27, 2009

What a great Black Friday outing!

Did everybody have a good Thanksgiving? I know we did. Since, we didn't go back to Pittsburgh or host Thanksgiving dinner here this year, we decided to scrap all the big time turkey dinner cooking and headed out to the city to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade instead. We then went to Chinatown for a delicious Peking Duck (hey, at least we had some sort of fowl :P) lunch. I'll blog about all that later on. The thing I was looking forward to this Thanksgiving (apart from going to the parade) was the Black Friday sales! I went through all the Black Friday ads and decided that we would go to Kohls this year. Actually Target and Walmart had pretty good stuff too, but seriously, we were just too lazy to join the crazy crowd, stand in long lines and get stuck in traffic in more than one place. So, we chose Kohls :D

We woke up at 3:00am (well Kevin did, I decided to just stay up all night) and managed to get ready and left our apartment by 3:34am. It takes about 10 minutes or so for us to get to Kohls and the doors open at 4:00am, so we were making good time. There wasn't much traffic on the roads, so all is well :D

When we pulled into Kohls parking lot, it was already filled with cars! I have never seen the parking lot at Kohls so packed before.

Check out the line waiting to get in. This is not even the full line. It's so long, I can't even get a full shot of it!! Can you see the last guy in line with the cap? Kevin was standing behind him, and behind Kevin, there was at least another 70 to 80 people, and the line was growing by the minute. As I was standing in line, I remembered that one of the Walmart staff was trampled to death when the doors opened in Walmart last year. I really hoped that the crowd wouldn't get crazy and stuff here.
Well, the doors opened at 4:00am and surprisingly, everybody was just moving along in line and there wasn't any mad dash or anybody pushing and stuff. I had already made a list of all the things that I wanted and had an idea exactly where they were. So, the moment we got in, we just headed to the small appliances department and picked up the stuff. I nearly got run over by only two shopping carts (considered very good for Black Friday) and managed to find everything that I wanted (they sort of hid the breadmaker in some corner, but Kevin managed to find it). We finished our shopping in 10 minutes and made it to the cashier before long lines started. Look at my happy face. It says "Mission Accomplished"! We managed to get some really good deals, without having to really deal with the crazy crowds and long lines!
Checkout my wonderful husband. He woke up at 3am just brave the Black Friday crowds with me. He also stood in line to save our spot while I went around taking photos. Not only that, he also went all over the electrical appliance department to look for my breadmaker (and found a few hidden in some corner), carried all those heavy boxes (since they ran out of shopping carts) and followed me all around the shop. Best of all, he paid for everything...yay! Thank you thank you thank you :P You are the best! *hugz*
This are some of the stuff that we bought. The original combined price for all those four kitchen appliances is around $220. After the sale, we paid a total of $128! Sounds good? Wait, it gets better. There is also a mail in rebate from Kohls for all those four appliances. After the mail in rebates, we only pay $78 in total! Also, Kohls has another promotion going on. You get back $10 in Kohls Cash for every $50 spent, so we got back $20. So, with the sale, mail in rebates and cash back....we paid only $58 for all those four items! Can you believe that? Only $58 for a Breadmaker, Toaster Oven/Broiler, Flip Belgian Waffle Maker and a Quesadilla Maker. Was it worth waking up for at 3am? You bet it was! I can't wait for Black Friday to come around again next year!

No comments: