Friday, September 25, 2009

Oven Bag Roast Turkey Legs

There was a sale going on for fresh turkey legs at our local grocery store a while ago and we decided to pick some up. I think it was only $4 for 6 large and juicy turkey legs. Pretty good deal, huh? We used 3 to make some crockpot turkey noodle soup and decided to roast up the remaining 3 later on in the week. I've always like those turkey legs that you can get at carnivals, so this is my version of that.
I started off my marinating the turkey legs with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Poultry Seasoning Blends. You can pretty much marinate it with any type of poultry seasoning. I allowed it to sit in the refrigerator and left it to marinade overnight.

I figured that the best way to roast juicy turkey legs is to use an oven bag. Before we do anything, we need to dust the oven bag with some flour. Then, place the bag in a deep baking dish.

Next, chop up some carrots, onions and potatoes into bite size pieces.

Place the carrots, onions and potatoes into the oven bag.

Then, place the turkey legs on top of the vegetables.

Pour about half a cup of water into the bag.

Seal the oven bag up. Remember to poke a few holes at the top to allow the steam to escape while cooking. We don't want an explosion in the oven, do we? :P

Place it in a 350F oven for about an hour.

While waiting for the turkey legs to cook, we can prepare the gravy for the legs. Start off by sauteing some sliced mushrooms in butter.

This is the part where I cheated. Instead of making the gravy from scratch, I just added a bottle of Heinz Turkey Gravy into the pan. Stir that with the mushrooms and allow it to go to a boil. Once it starts bubbling, turn down the heat and it is done!

Check out our turkey legs after about an hour in the oven. Nice, juicy and moist - with the meat just falling of the bone. Perfect!

I served the turkey leg with some of the vegetables as well as some Herb Rice. You can just serve the legs as it is (like the photo on top) or you can pour the mushroom gravy over it. Either way, it's just as yummy!! So, the next time there is a sale in your local grocery store on fresh turkey legs, try this recipe. It rocks!

9 comments:

Diane said...

This post is very old, but today I cooked some turkey legs in a cooking bag using your directions as a guideline. They came out very tender and moist. If you still read your comments I wanted to thank you. We really enjoyed them.

Charlene n Kevin said...

That's awesome! :D

Unknown said...

I made this last week and it was awesome. My husband bought more turkey legs today so I'll be cooking it again tomorrow night. Nice and easy too. Thanks for the recipe. Judith from Australia.

Unknown said...

I'll try this next week Sunday thank you

Unknown said...

Thank you, I am going to make these tomorrow.

JackJohnson said...

Thanks for sharing such an nice blog.

In the event that you need to make Thanksgiving loosen up into one week from now, consider doing likewise. Here's turkey drumsticks

Turkey Drumsticks

Visit for more information - https://farmersfreshmeat.com/shop/smoked-turkey-drumsticks/

Anonymous said...

Great article.

Lupita V. said...

Just did same receipe, still delicious! Merry Christmas

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the directions. I made this for my husband as he prefers the Dark meat. It was sooooo good!
Again, Many Thanks,
Maggie