Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fu Chuk Yee Mai (Barley Dessert)

Fu Chuk Yee Mai one of my all time favorite tong suis (desserts). To translate, Fu Chuk means Beancurd Sheets and Yee Mai is Barley in Cantonese. I used to think that it's really hard to make, hence I didn't even bother trying. However, I was talking to my cousin the other day and she told me that it's actually really simple. You know what? She is right :D Here's the recipe to making this ever so yummy dessert.

To start off, you need to soak the beancurd sheets and lotus nuts in warm water until they are soft. This can take between 1 to 2 hours. When in doubt, soak longer. Now, here is a popular question. What type of beancurd sheets should you use? Well, it really depends on how you like your fu chuk in this particular dessert. Many people say that you should use beancurd sheets and not beancurd threads (like what I am using). If you like your fu chuk to melt away when cooking, then you should use the beancurd sheets. For me, I like to taste the texture of the fu chuk together with the barley, so I used beancurd threads. It's good, either ways.

Once the lotus nuts are soft, boil them in a big pot of water for at least half an hour before adding in the other ingredients. This is because lotus nuts takes a longer time to cook, compared to barley and beancurd sheets.

After about half an hour, 45 minutes to be safe, add in the barley.

Then, in goes the beancurd sheets/threads. You can also add in some gingko at this point, if you like.

Tie some pandan (screwpine) leaves in a knot and add it to the pot. This step is optional. However, I would recommend that you use it as it really makes a difference in the taste and smell of this dessert.

Allow it to go into a boil and then turn the heat down. Let is simmer until the beancurd sheets fall apart. This should take about an hour and a half. Add in a few small pieces of rock sugar (depends on how sweet you want it to be), allow it to simmer for a little bit more and its done! Some people would add in some unsweetened soy bean milk at this point. It's entirely up to you. It will taste yummy, either ways. You can then serve it hot or you can allow it to cool down and serve it cold. Works both ways. See, didn't I tell you it was easy to make? :D

3 comments:

Heatherfeather said...

I have never tried this before. It really sounds interesting and it does look very easy. I love anything with pandan flavoring in it. I really hope I can find a market around here that sells the leaves fresh.

Charlene n Kevin said...

I hope so too! :D I guess frozen ones aren't all that bad too...

Jacqy said...

i've tried this before and its great. but im wondering how do i add the soy milk in? if i make my own soy milk, i dont add the sugar into the soy milk yet? den add into the dessert? can i boil half pot of barley den add another half pot of soy milk?