Saturday, October 25, 2008

Lemon Pepper Catfish Fillets

When I was growing up, my grandmother was the head chef of the house. She would whip up the yummiest dishes effortlessly. A lil bit of this, a lil bit of that and before you know it, a whole meal would be ready in no time. After she was called home to the Lord in 1999, the whole family would just eat out everyday. I started to experiment with cooking when I moved to the States in 2002. Initially, I cooked because I had to. It was way too expensive to eat out all the time and I was sick of eating instant noodles and canned pasta. I slowly realized that I actually enjoy cooking and begin to cook more and more. Over the years, I have learnt to make fast and simple meals that doesn't burn a hole in your pocket. From time to time, I will share with you some of our favorite home cooked meals and maybe you can try to make them too!
This is a fairly easy and quick meal to make. The sides are buttered broccoli spears and instant herb rice. You can pretty much substitute them with any other sides that you like. To make the broccoli, just steam or boil the broccoli spears until its crisp and tender. Then toss it in melted butter and sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese. For the rice, I used Lipton Instant Rice. There are many other flavors, just follow the directions on the packet. Below is the recipe for the fish.

Lemon Pepper Catfish Fillets

INGREDIENTS

  • Farm Raised Catfish Fillets
  • Zatarain's Lemon Pepper Fish Fri
  • Milk
  • Egg

DIRECTIONS

  1. Mix one egg and milk in a bowl
  2. Wash fish fillets in cold water and dip fillets in milk mixture, drain off excess moisture
  3. Pour Lemon Pepper mix into a ziplock bag or any small plastic bag
  4. Roll or shake moist fish in the bag until evenly coated
  5. Fry fish in 350F oil until light golden brown
  6. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.

There you go. It's as easy as it gets. I would sometimes use McCormick's Cajun seasoning instead of Zatarain's Lemon Pepper. That works great too. More simple dinner recipes will be coming your way soon!

No comments: