Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tempura Soba

I bought this box of Miyako Tempura batter mix at Mitsuwa Marketplace a while ago but never got around to using it until a few weeks back.

There are so many different brands of tempura batter mix out there, I didn't really know if this is good or not. At last, I had a chance to test it out a few weeks back. I think it turned out pretty good.

The first thing we must do to make tempura is to prepare the tempura pieces. Cut everything to bite sized pieces (or almost bite size) . I cut up some carrots, eggplant, shitake mushrooms, shrimp and fish fillets. I would have like larger shrimps but that was all I had in my fridge at that time. To prep the vegetables, just pay it dry with a paper towel after cutting.

To prep the seafood, also pat them dry with a paper towel. Then dust them with the dry tempura batter mix.

Now we can prepare the tempura batter. Measure out 1 cup of tempura batter mix.

Then, stir in one cup of ice cold water into the mix and mix until the large lumps are gone. Do not over beat or over mix. It's alright if the mixture looks a little lumpy.

After all that, we are now ready to fry the tempura. In a deep pan or wok, heat about 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep of oil until 350F. Dip the tempura pieces into the batter to coat.

After dripping off the excess batter, gently slide it into the oil, cooking only a few pieces at a time.

Repeat the same thing with the vegetables. Once it turns golden light brown, remove the tempura from the oil and drain it on some paper towels.

The tempura is now ready to be served. I served mine with a hot bowl of soba. I just made some instant miso soup and added in some soba. To make the tempura dipping sauce, just combine about 3/4 cups of water with 1/4 cups of soy sauce and 1/4 cups of Mirin.

No comments: