Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Amiya Contemporary Indian Cuisine - Jersey City, NJ

After having two consecutive meals at Malaysian restaurants, I was pretty glad (secretly happy too, since I lovveee Northern Indian food :P) that Kheng suggested Indian for lunch the next day. We decided that we should check out one of those weekend buffet lunch places but the question is...which one? Kevin and I love the buffet in Rasoi so we figured we should just go there. After thinking about it for a bit, we decided against that idea because of it's location. It's located right in the heart of Newark Ave aka Indian Square and it's pure madness to even try to get a parking spot there during the weekend. It's just so busy, with people shopping for groceries, eating at the many Indian restaurants along that strip and going about doing their weekend errands.
I searched the Internet for another Indian restaurant and found Amiya. Unlike all the other popular Indian restaurants, it is not located along the Newark Avenue strip. Located smack at the center of the Harborside Financial Center in Jersey City, it's worlds away from the busyness and commotion of the ever popular Newark Avenue strip. It's really convenient to get to as well. If you drive, they offer free parking at a neighboring parking lot (there are also plenty of off road parking as well). It is also located near the light rail train stop as well as the PATH trains (get off at the Exchange Place station).
During the summer months, they also offer al fresco dining. Surrounded by greenery and blooming flowers, it can be quite a pleasant setting for a quiet and leisurely weekend brunch. Also, it is just one block away from the waterfront as well as the view of the lower Manhattan skyline. Since it was an extra hot day, we decided to sit inside. The interior was also tastefully decorated, with chic contemporary decor.
All three of us had the buffet lunch. Priced at $13.95 per person, I felt that it was quite a good deal (considering the location. quality of food and it being a weekend). I think the weekday buffet lunch is only $10.95 per person. I didn't bring my camera along to take pictures at the buffet line because of two reasons. Number one. It's relatively an upscale restaurant, so I don't think they would appreciate me going around with my camera, taking pictures of their buffet line up. Also, there were quite a lot of people in line and I didn't want to slow the people down. Anyways, here is a selection of some of the things I took from the buffet. One dish that really stands out is the tandoori chicken. Usually, the tandoori chicken that you get from buffets are pretty hard, dry and cold. This is because tandoori chicken is best served piping hot and doesn't do that well when it sits in a buffet. However, the tandoori chicken here was awesome! Nice and juicy...mmm mmm mmm! Oh, the nan was super yummy too! I feel that the food quality is generally pretty good, across the board. My only complain is that there wasn't much of a selection, compared to say, Rasoi.
Another thing I like about this buffet is that their thosai is made to order. There is a little booth at the end of the buffet line and the chef whips up batch upon batch of fresh thosai. You can either ask him to make just regular thosai or thosai masala. Also, he makes them in really tiny portions, so it doesn't fill you up. Just the correct amount. I ordered one piece of thosai masala and I must admit, it's really really good. Crispy on the outside, filled with yummy potato masala on the inside. I would have ordered more if I wasn't so stuffed from all the other delicious food from the buffet.

Overall, I would say that the weekend buffet in Amiya is pretty reasonable and value for money. I am not Indian, so I cannot really say if the food is authentic or not. However, I can say that it tasted pretty awesome to me! If it helps, I would like to add that the entire restaurant was full when we were there and we were the only non Indians there. I guess it must be pretty good and authentic then? Anyways, for a little over $15 a pop, I must say that it's a good place for a relaxing weekend brunch with family and friends. Will definitely return.



Amiya Contemporary Indian Cuisine
Harborside Financial Center, Plaza V
160 Greene Street
Jersey City, NJ 07311
Tel: (201) 433 8000
Fax: (201) 433 8866
Web: http://www.amiyarestaurant.com/

3 comments:

Davis said...

Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Tandoori Chef which is An authentic North Indian, fine dining restaurant, Tandoori Chef offers Hackensack and the surrounding area a wonderful taste of Indian cuisine.

John said...

Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Madras Bistro which offer a wide range of delicious North and South Indian vegetarian dishes. Situated in the heart of Bergen County, Madras Bistro is located in Hackensack, NJ.

Daivs said...

Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Tandoori Chef2 which is An authentic North Indian, fine dining restaurant, Tandoori Chef offers Maplewood and the surrounding area a wonderful taste of Indian cuisine.