Saturday, October 3, 2009

Happy Mid Autumn Festival!!

It was a lovely night, with the moon looking so big and bright over the city skyline. What a perfect night to celebrate the Mid Autumn Festival :D Sometimes known as the Mooncake Festival or Lantern Festival, the Mid Autumn Festival is a harvest festival celebrated by Chinese all over the world. I remember looking forward to carrying brightly lit lanterns all around the neighborhood with my cousin ever year during this festival while growing up in Penang. No lanterns for me this year but we got something better....

MOONCAKES! Our local Asian grocery store was having a sale on mooncakes and we bought a box of 8 yummy mooncakes! Wanna see inside? :D (* look at how bright the moon was behind Kevin)

Sooo nice! There are six different flavors (red bean, mung bean & black sesame, durian, fruit & nut, green tea and of course the regular lotus nuts), six with double yolk and two with a single yolk.

We tried the green tea mooncake and it was simply delicious. I love how the mooncake is so moist and the skin is not too thick. There was just enough green tea taste to it, not too much and not too little. Perfect!

We also tried the red bean mooncake. It wasn't as good as the green tea mooncake but it was alright too. The skin was equally thin but the red bean filling was a tad bit dry. If it was a little bit more moist, it would have been perfect too! We only managed to eat two mooncakes, cos it's sooooooo filling. I can't wait to try the other flavors tomorrow!

We also saw this two little pigs on sale in Chinatown earlier today. I told Kevin that my grandma would always buy one for me and one for my cousin Amelia during the mooncake festival cos I didn't really like the taste of mooncakes as a kid. I thought that the filling was icky :P The lil pigs are made from the same batter as the outer skin of the mooncakes, minus the filling. Kevin then said that we should get some, so we did! :D Anyways, we had a great Mid Autumn Festival and we hope that you did too!!!

Happy Mid Autumn Festival Everybody!!

No comments: