Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Creamy Seafood Gnocchi

I saw some fresh gnocchi at the deli section of our neighborhood grocery store and decided to pick that up for dinner last week (it's been a long while since I last had some gnocchi). Of course it's not that difficult to make from scratch, but it doesn't really make much sense to make a whole lot, since it's only for Kevin and myself. Sooo, ready made gnocchi it is! :D I made some creamy tomato sauce with seafood to go with it.

I started off by boiling the gnocchi in salted water for about 2-3 minutes. It doesn't really take that long for it to be cooked. To prevent the gnocchi from sticking to each other, I just left it in the water while I started working on my sauce.

Earlier, I cleaned and sliced up a few pieces of fish fillet into bite size pieces, shelled some shrimp and defrosted some bay scallops.

Melt some butter in a large pan and add in some chopped garlic.

Once the garlic is nicely cooked, add in the fish slices.

Allow the fish to cook for a bit then add in the shrimp and scallops. Since the fish takes a little longer to cook than the shrimp and scallops, this is to ensure that we don't over cook the shrimp and scallops.

Crack in some black pepper and throw in some freshly chopped basil.

Mix all the ingredients together and then add in some ready made pasta sauce.

Stir the pasta sauce in with the seafood and allow it to cook for a bit. When the seafood is almost done, add in some heavy cream.

Stir that in with the tomato sauce and allow it to come to a boil.

Turn off the heat and the sauce is ready! Drain the gnocchi and add it into the sauce.

Mix it all together and serve.

It's simple and easy to make. I could have made the gnocchi and pasta sauce from scratch but it's so much of a hassle and it can be time consuming. Unless cooking for a large crowd, I feel that buying ready made products are usually cheaper, less of a hassle and the taste is not that much different that making it from scratch. Sometimes it might even taste better :P So, here it is. My version of Gnocchi with Creamy Tomato Seafood Sauce.

No comments: