Thursday, September 23, 2010

Simple Salisbury Steak

Both Kevin and I have always liked eating Salisbury Steak. In fact, it's one of my favorite dishes to order whenever we go to a diner. However, I have never gotten around to making it at home (should have tried it a long time ago!). I had some minced meat sitting around in my fridge a while ago, so I decided to search for it's recipe online. To my surprise, it turned out to be so easy to make! I changed the recipe around a bit (based on what I had in my pantry at that moment) and it turned out to be awesome! Here's how I make my version of the Salisbury Steak.
Start off by adding one extra large egg to a lbs of ground beef. Stir in the egg with the meat until it's evenly mixed.
Then, add in about 1/4 cups of milk. You can add in a little bit more, depending on how wet/dry the mixture is. I would usually just eyeball, when it comes to stuff like that.
After that, add in some Worcestershire sauce. I just love the taste of Worcestershire sauce. I pretty much use it for everything...burgers, steaks, chicken....etc :P Mix all the ingredients together.
Now, it's time to add in the dry ingredients. Mix in a packet of onion soup mix followed by some Italian breadcrumbs. If you do not have Italian breadcrumbs, regular ones will work too.
Once you have mixed all the ingredients together, it's time to get your hands dirty. Using your hands, just make sure that all the ingredients are nicely and evenly mixed. Then, separate the minced meat into 6 portions and form 6 large patties (there are only 4 patties in the picture cos I can't fit 6 into a plate :P). Remember to compact the meat together tightly, so that it doesn't break apart during cooking. You can sprinkle some breadcrumbs at the bottom of the plate to prevent the meat from sticking, if you like. Cover it with some plastic wrap and allow it to sit in the fridge for about an hour.
Now it's time to give our Salisbury Steak some color. Heat some oil in a pan on high heat. Then, add in the patties. I only cooked two (since it's only the two of us) patties and saved the other 4 patties for another day. I just had to put them between some wax paper, place them into a freezer bag and pop them into the freezer. So, you can pretty much make a large batch and keep the patties in the freezer for quite a long time. The purpose of pan frying the patties is just to give it color. You do not have to cook the meat all the way through. Once it's nicely browned on both sides, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
Using the same pan, we shall now make the sauce. Add in some chopped portobello mushrooms into the pan. Mix it around and make sure that you scrap off all the nice leftover brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
Once the mushrooms have soften a little, add in some brown gravy. I made the gravy by mixing some water with a packet of instant brown gravy mix. You can also use brown gravy that comes in a bottle or if you really really want to, you can make it from scratch. Mix it all together and all ow it to simmer.
Once the sauce have reduced a little, it is done. Arrange the meat patties on a lightly greased baking pan and then pour the sauce over. Cover it with aluminium foil and it's ready for baking.
Pop the baking pan into a preheated 375F oven and allow it to cook for about 35-45 minutes (depending on your oven). As you can see, I also had some baked potatoes in the oven. I placed the potatoes in the oven when I started making the sauce earlier. This way, both the Salisbury Steak and Baked Potatoes will be done at almost the same time. After about 40 minutes or so, the Salisbury Steak is done! I then sprinkled some fried onions on top and served it with a side of baked potato and some sweet corn. Another simple and uber yummy dinner!! :D

No comments: